In the entryway, I changed my letter board to reflect the theme, and added this very cute cactus light. Over the fireplace, I added this cactus banner. I expected it to be made out of paper, but it’s actually felt! I think it will stay up year-round somewhere in my house.
Outside on the porch, I brought out all of my blue metal kitchen chairs, and bought a folding table from Target. The aqua plastic tablecloth I already had, leftover from a bridal shower I threw a year ago. I decorated the table with some of my little succulents on tiny cake stands, which I already had also.
- Walking Tacos. Apparently, this is a Midwesterner thing, because no one in Arizona had heard of this. You take individual bags of Doritos or Fritos, open them, and put a scoop of taco meat and all your usual fixings inside the bag, mix it up, and eat it from the bag. These are the original Doritos Tacos – but deconstructed. I cooked the taco meat in the crock pot to make life even easier.
- Guacamole, sour cream, cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa – all purchased and packaged, again, making life easy.
- Fruit from a handy fruit tray.
- Peanuts and M&Ms – Conley family tradition.
- Fanta, lemonade, and lime La Croix as well as bottled water. I wanted brightly colored, kid-friendly beverages. Although the La Croix was really all for us non-soda drinking adults.
- Taco Cakes!!! I’m still so thrilled with how these turned out. I made two round cakes, cut them in half, and stacked them to make the taco shape. Then I frosted and decorated them to look like a taco with fillings. Here’s a tutorial that I based my cake on, but instead of using crushed Oreos, I used the star shaped decorating tip and chocolate frosting for the taco meat. I didn’t create the tomatoes and cheese from separate frosting either, I just used the small round tip to pipe them on.
- Cactus light
- Letter board
- Cactus banner
- Gold number balloon
- Paper Mexican Tissue banner
- Paper Fiesta Fans
- Paper Fiesta napkins
- Mexican blanket
- Aqua Plastic tablecloth
- Paper honeycombs (similar? I bought mine locally)
- I made the “Drinks” sign with a piece of poster board, sprayed with black chalkboard paint, and wrote on it with a gold chalk marker.