Almost three weeks ago now, I turned 24! I celebrated with lunch with my friends at work, then leaving early to play my new guitar!
This was Brian’s birthday present to me. He’s a used Fender, and I love him. It’s like they say in Harry Potter – “The wand chooses the wizard,” but in this case, “The guitar choses the girl.”
My birthday goal was to learn to play “Happy Birthday” before the end of the day, and I succeeded! But boy, I forgot how much it hurts to play until your fingers get calluses.
Brian also took me out to dinner, and I received a host of birthday wishes and gifts from my family.
Last year for my 23rd, I made a list of 23 things I’d learned in 23 years. Hopefully, now that I’m a year older, I’ve learned at least one more.
1. You will never “arrive.” The dream job won’t always be dreamy, new experiences will get old, and when you achieve what you think will make you happy, you find that there’s something you missed.
2. That’s why you have to choose contentment now.
3. You control you.
4. You have a lot to learn.
5. Life is too short to not wear glitter shoes.
6. Most of the time, things are not as bad as they seem.
7. You have to chill out. Seriously.
8. Confidence is two-thirds of the battle.
9. Vision will win.
10. Lead by the force of good ideas.
11. People will follow those who inspire them. No one wants to follow someone who only complains about the problem.
12. There’s no substitute for genuinely caring about people.
13. Growth and change are hard, and painful. Especially in marriage, when sometimes it feels like you’re growing in different directions. You’re changing at different rates, and this is ok.
14. You will make it.
15. If having a puppy prepares you for children, you have a long way to go.
16. Doing the right thing can be really, really hard. And lonely.
17. God’s design for marriage and family is more beautiful and so much bigger than you ever understood before.
18. Sometimes, every day is an act of courage.
19. Keep fighting for what you believe in.
20. You care too much. Don’t stop.
21. If you don’t time to enjoy right now, in a year or two, you’ll look back and wish you had.
22. There is no 80’s movie montage, and suddenly you feel brave. You have to just do it in spite of the fear.
23. You are braver than you think.
24. You are stronger than you know.
What’s something you’ve learned over the last year? Share it with us in the comments!