You probably already heard this, but Google Reader is going away July 1st. If you haven’t already, now is the time to move your blog subscriptions to a new service, before you lose them!
Even if you don’t use Google Reader to keep up with blogs, if you follow using Google Friend Connect, you’ll also want to switch to a new way to follow blogs. Why? Because the sole purpose of GFC is to add blogs to Google Reader, which then syncs to your Blogger Dashboard. Without Google Reader, I’m guessing Blogger Dashboard will go away, and so too will Google Friend Connect. Most of the Google Friend Connect services have already been discontinued, such as the newsletter feature.
Don’t panic yet. While I’ll miss seeing your smiling faces in the Google Friend Connect widget, I think you’ll be really happy moving to Bloglovin‘. I started using Bloglovin’ to follow fashion, lifestyle, and craft blogs mainly, maybe a year ago. Now I’ve imported all the blogs I follow and categorized them accordingly.
Why I love Bloglovin’:
- It’s super easy to move all the blogs you follow over. Just go to this page, and click the big blue button that says to import from Google Reader. Make sure you’re signed into Google, and then it only takes a second!
- It’s super easy to use Bloglovin’ for your blog. Sign up, Go to “My Blog,” and hit “Claim Blog.” You’ll get some code, which you can then copy and paste into a widget in your sidebar. Then your blog is claimed! All you need to do next is grab a follow button, add that to your sidebar, and you’re set!
- It has a clean, simple interface for reading blogs. I love that on your home page, Bloglovin’ displays a large photo from the post and the first few lines of text. It’s easy to scroll through and click on the posts that look interesting to you, and it all just looks pretty.
- Get behind on your blog reading? Just hit the “Mark all as Read” button at the top to reset.
- You can also discover new blogs to follow by browsing the categories.
- I personally like getting an email digest each day with some of the recent posts from the blogs I follow. It really helps me keep up with my favorite blogs.
- There’s also a great Bloglovin’ app, which is perfect for reading blogs in bed. Or anywhere.