If you think thrift store shopping is too overwhelming and too time consuming, you’re missing out. Might I remind you of the time I spent $41.96 for a haul with an estimated value of $384.92? That doesn’t happen every trip, but with patience and a good strategy, you will find thrift store shopping success.
|My Zara blazer from the above mentioned shopping haul|
Maybe you think of yourself as a savvy thrift store shopper already. How many of the items you’ve bought do you actually wear? Honestly, as I photographed the clothes and shoes for this Friday’s charity auction, I saw several of my thrift store finds in the mix. How do you balance getting a good deal with actually getting something you’ll wear? In other words, how do you bag bargains instead of just bringing home “stuff”?
You need a plan. A strategy. Refresh yourself or discover for the first time the basics of thrift store shopping, like when is the best time during the month to go, what NOT to buy, and how to think creatively. I’m not going to re-say what’s already been said, because whether you’re a newbie to thrifting or an expert, you’ll learn some new tips from these ladies, guaranteed.
|Image: We Heart It|
Master The Basics
- 12 Tips for Thrift Store Shopping by Simple Mom. This post covers the basics, like finding out when sales are, knowing your brands, and how to shop with both a plan and an open mind.
- Let’s Go Thrifting by The Girls With Glasses (video). How to scan the racks quickly, and make items work for you.
Know Your Deal Breakers
- Thrifting Deal Breakers by Already Pretty.
- Do’s and Don’ts of Thrifting by The Girls With Glasses (video).
Do Your Research
Know Yourself And What You Really Need
- What clothes flatter your figure
- What colors look good on you
- What fits with your personal style
- What you want to look like
- Define basics, what do you really need? by me. And trust me, if you wear 10 things all month, your idea of what you need will change drastically.
- How much clothing should you own? by Already Pretty mentions some aspects to consider.
Did you learn anything new about thrift store shopping today? What tips would you add? Share them with us in the comments!